Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Out & About


Coming out to my family was an out-of-body experience. As my mouth began moving, forming words I had rehearsed time and time again, I forfeited all control to some invisible force-- there was no turning back and the universe made sure of that. There I was, sitting at our dinner table with my parents, my sister, two of my brothers, and all three of their spouses, and I somehow mustered the words: "I am gay." Out loud.

I had prepared myself emotionally for the impending possibility of coming out to the remaining members of my family over Christmas break, but I hadn't made any concrete goal to do so. It was merely an "if it happens, it happens" kind of sentiment. I reworked the practice letter I had carefully written so many months ago (taking out the parts about being in love-- one step at a time, people!) and saved it on my iPad just in case.

After we finished a round of games on Wednesday night, just as we had every night before, we sat talking and laughing as a family, enjoying our last night all together. When a lull in the conversation and a shuffling of chairs threatened my final chance to tell them all in one setting, I spoke up. 

"Before we go to bed, and before Conrad and Jamie head back to Arizona tomorrow, there is something I want to talk to you guys about. Something that has been on my mind for a long time, and tonight seems like a good night to talk about it."

I fumbled for my iPad, opened the letter and with a shaky and emotion-filled voice read every word. At parts, I had to pause and collect myself, dab my tear-stained cheeks and push forward. I prayed the letter would never end because I was terrified of what was waiting on the other side.

"...I testify that Jesus is the Christ, an unblemished example of pure charity and love. He knows me and the desires of my heart fully, and when that day comes, I will bow down before Him in humility and say without shame, 'Lord, I have done my best.'

With all the love I possess,
Jack-Jack"

I shut off my iPad, wiped the tears from my face, and waited. Waited for applause, boos, crying, shouting, incoming balls of yarn, anything! Finally, after a few hugs and what seemed like an eternity of quiet, my brother Conrad finally opened up and got the ball rolling.

We spoke for two hours as a family about my past, my present, and most of all, my future. They shared thoughts, kind words of support, and testimonies of the Gospel. Their reactions ranged from angry, ignorant and uninformed, to concerned, loving and supportive. I can't say I expected otherwise.

I haven't had much contact with my siblings or father since that pivotal night, but to know I have finally broken free of my shell of silence and exposed an important part of myself to my family is overwhelmingly relieving. This part of me has been clawing at the walls of my heart, mind and soul for years. 

There are still many miles to go before we see eye to eye on the issue and the choices I may or may not make, but at least one thing is sure: I no longer have to fear living in the dark. The truth has been illuminated to a few more people, chipping away at the barricade that conceals my whole self. These fresh holes in this wall give me a taste of a future where I can be seen for who I am, a gay man, struggling to find his place in this world, just like everyone else. 

When that glorious days comes, when the truth has completely penetrated the walls around me, and my world is flooded with light, I will finally stand tall in the glow of understanding, and bask in the warmth of complete emancipation.

And corny metaphors aside, I'm simply atwitter that I can now officially be everyone's favorite guncle! :D

5 comments:

Ben said...

I'm so happy for you! It sounds like it was an amazingly liberating and healing experience. It took courage to do what you did.

It's sad that something that was normal at one time in history causes so much fear, persecution, and alienation in our "modern society". I can't wait for the day when people won't even need to come out because nobody will be judged by their sexual orientation in the first place.

Trev said...

Yay! Congratulations!

Jack-Jack said...

Amen, Ben. Amen.

Kevin said...

I'm so happy for you. I'm glad you were able to come out to your family. I finally came out to my extended family just a couple weeks ago. So it was been very liberating.

VERONICA GENTILI. ANTI BERLUSCONIANI PRONTI A TUTTO! said...

CRISTINA ROSSELLO: UN AVVOCATO ASSASSINO!

#CRISTINAROSSELLO: UN AVVOCATO ASSASSINO!

È AVVOCATO ASSASSINO: CRISTINA ROSSELLO! È POLITICCHIO BERLUSCONICCHIO ASSASSINO: #CRISTINAROSSELLO DI MASSONERIA CRIMINALE NEO PIDUISTA, DI FORZA ITALIA MAFIOSA #FORZAITALIA MAFIOSA E COMUNIONE E LIBERAZIONE #COMUNIONELIBERAZIONE #COMUNIONEELIBERAZIONE (DOVE MAFIA CON EX AGENTE DI CAMBIO, DA SEMPRE CRIMINALE, GIOVANNI RAIMONDI #GIOVANNIRAIMONDI DI MATER OLBIA SPA #MATEROLBIA SPA, EX POLICLINICO GEMELLI #POLICLINICOGEMELLI, EX RICICLATORE DI CASH MAFIOSO, VIA FAMIGLIA MALAVITOSA LIGRESTI #LIGRESTI, COSA SEMPRE FATTA PURE, DA SUPER DELINQUENTE ED ASSASSINA CRISTINA ROSSELLO #CRISTINAROSSELLO STESSA) ! È POLITICO BERLU$CORROTTO E KILLER: CRISTINA ROSSELLO #CRISTINAROSSELLO! PER CONTO DI PEDOFILI STRAGISTI MASSIMO DORIS #MASSIMODORIS DI CRIMINALISSIMA #MEDIOLANUM MEDIOLANUM, SILVIO BERLUSCONI #SILVIOBERLUSCONI, MARINA BERLUSCONI #MARINABERLUSCONI, PIERSILVIO BERLUSCONI #PIERSILVIOBERLUSCONI E FEDELE CONFALONIERI #FEDELECONFALONIERI, TRAMA A MORTE EROI ANTI MAFIA E NAZISMO DI SOCIETÀ DI COSA NOSTRA: #FININVEST, FININVEST, #MEDIASET MEDIASET, #MFE #MEDIAFOREUROPE MFE MEDIA FOR EUROPE E #MONDADORI MONDADORI!

L'AVVOCATO PEDOFILO, LESBICONE, MASSO^NAZI卐FASCISTA, CORROTTO, LADRO & OMICIDA CRISTINA ROSSELLO DI MAFIOSA E HITLERIANA #FORZAITALIA FORZA ITALIA E DELINQUENZIALI TIPI DI MASSONERIA NEO P2ISTA ASSASSINA, ROTARY #ROTARY ASSASSINO, #LIONSCLUBS LIONS CLUBS ASSASSINI, KIWANIS #KIWANIS ASSASSINI, CLUB DIPLOMATIA #CLUBDIPLOMATIA ASSASSINO, CLUB CANOVA #CLUBCANOVA ASSASSINO, RICICLA TANTI SOLDI MAFIOSI, VIA SUO CRIMINALISSIMO #ROSSELLOFAMILYOFFICE ROSSELLO FAMILY OFFICE DI LONDRA
https://mobile.twitter.com/AvvRossello

LA LECCA FIGA DI RAGAZZINE 11/13 ENNI, LA SCHIFOSA PEDOFILA E KILLER #CRISTINAROSSELLO UNITA AL PEDOFILO ASSASSINO FEDELE CONFALONIERI #FEDELECONFALONIERI DI #MEDIASET MEDIASET ALIAS MAFIASET O #MFE ALIAS MAFIA FOR EUROPE, COMPLOTTANO A MORTE, EROI ANTI MAFIA E NAZISMO DI SILVIO BERLUSCONI #SILVIOBERLUSCONI, #BERLUSCONI, NEL MONDO INTERO!

LA LECCA FIGA DI RAGAZZINE 11/13 ENNI, LA PEDOFILA ED OMICIDA CRISTINA ROSSELLO PROTEGGE PURE SOLDI STRAGISTI E LATITANZE DI MAFIOSI N1 AL MONDO: #MATTEOMESSINADENARO MATTEO MESSINA DENARO E #GIUSEPPEMOTISI GIUSEPPE MOTISI (COPERTA DA NAZI卐LEGHISTA BERLUSCONICCHIO PEDERASTA ED OMICIDA PAOLO BARRAI A DUBAI... FA PURE RIMA... CRIMINALE EFFERATO #PAOLOBARRAI, IMBOSCANTESI A #DUBAI, PER NON FINIRE IN CARCERE A MILANO). LA KILLER SATANICA #CRISTINAROSSELLO, DA TANTI ANNI, ORGANIZZA PURE TANTI OMICIDI MASSO^MAFIOSI DA FAR PASSARE PER FALSI SUICIDI, MALORI ED INCIDENTI. LA TRUFFATRICE LECCA VAGINE DI ADOLESCENTI CRISTINA ROSSELLO, LA PEDOFILA #CRISTINAROSSELLO FU ARTEFICE DEI FALLIMENTI DI #FONSAI E #VENETOBANCA! NON SI SCHIFA "IL MASSONE MAXIMO" #ALBERTONAGEL ALBERTO NAGEL DI #MEDIOBANCA MEDIOBANCA A TENERE IN #SPAFID SPAFID UNA CRIMINALE KILLER, HITLERIANA E MAFIOSA COME CRISTINA ROSSELLO #CRISTINAROSSELLO?

https://twitter.com/RossellosCrimes
https://twitter.com/CRosselloUccide
https://twitter.com/RosselloLaLecca
https://twitter.com/CatalanoSgama
https://twitter.com/RossellOmicida
https://twitter.com/Rossell_Omicida

ED A PROPOSITO DI PEDOFILO ASSASSINO #SILVIOBERLUSCONI SILVIO BERLUSCONI..

#SILVIOBERLUSCONI SILVIO BERLUSCONI É UN SATANISTA PEDOFILO NAZISTA, MAFIOSO E GENOCIDA! SI, É PROPRIO COSÍ! É UN ASSASSINO PEDOFILO, FIGLIO, MARITO, PADRE E MEGA PAGATORE DI PUTTANE: IL SATANISTA NAZISTA, IL SATA卐NAZISTA SBAVA MINORENNI, MAFIOSO, CAMORRISTA, NDRANGHETISTA, STRAGISTA: SILVIO BERLUSCONI DI CRIMINALISSIMA #FORZAITALIA MAFIOSA FORZA ITALIA MAFIOSA, CRIMINALISSIMA #MONDADORI MONDADORI, CRIMINALISSIMA #FININVEST FININVEST, CRIMINALISSIMA #MFE MAFIA FOR EUROPE MFE MAFIA FOR EUROPE, CRIMINALISSIMA #MEDIASET MEDIASET, CRIMINALISSIMA #MEDIASETESPANA MEDIASET ESPANA, CRIMINALISSIMO #ACMONZA AC MONZA, CRIMINALISSIMO #ACMILAN AC MILAN,
CRIMINALISSIMA #BANCAMEDIOLANUM BANCA MEDIOLANUM, CRIMINALISSIMA #MEDIOLANUM MEDIOLANUM!